The Palaeoproterozoic era (2500-1600 Ma) is a critical period of Earth history, with dynamic evolution from the deep planetary interior to its surface environment. Several lines of geological evidence suggest the existence of at least one pre-Rodinia supercontinent, named Nuna or Columbia, which formed near the end of Palaeoproterozoic time. Prior to this assembly, there may have been an older supercontinent (Kenorland) or perhaps only independently drifting supercratons. The tectonic records of amalgamation and dispersal of these ancient landmasses provide a framework that links processes of the deep Earth with those of its fluid envelope.
The sixteen papers in this volume present reviews and new analytical data that span the geological record of Palaeoproterozoic Earth. The volume is useful as a reference book for students and professional geoscientists interested in this important period of global evolution.
- Palaeoproterozoic supercontinents and global evolution: correlations from core to atmosphere, S M Reddy & D A D Evans
- The IGCP 509 database system: design and application of a tool to capture and illustrate litho-and chrono-stratigraphic information for Palaeoproterozoic tectonic domains, large igneous provinces and ore deposits; with examples from southern Africa, B M Eglington, S M Reddy & D A D Evans
- The Columbia connection in North China, T M Kusky & M Santosh
- The Precambrian Khondalite Belt in the Daqingshan area, North China Craton: evidence for multiple metamorphic events in the Palaeoproterozoic Era, Y Wan, D Liu, C Dong, Z Xu, Z Wang, S A Wilde, Y Yang, Z Liu & H Zhou
- The Lüliang Massif: a key area for the understanding of the Palaeoproterozoic Trans-North China Belt, North China Craton, P Trap, M Faure, W Lin & S Meffre
- Palaeoproterozoic to Eoarchaean crustal growth in southern Siberia: a Nd-isotope synthesis, D P Gladkochub, T V Donskaya, S M Reddy, U Poller, T B Bayanova, A M Mazukabzov, S Dril, W Todt & S A Pisarevsky
- Palaeomagnetism and U–Pb dates of the Palaeoproterozoic Akitkan Group (South Siberia) and implications for pre-Neoproterozoic tectonics, A N Didenko, V Yu Vodovozov, S A Pisarevsky, D P Gladkochub, T V Donskaya, A M Mazukabzov, A M Stanevich, E V Bibikova & T I Kirnozova
- Timing and duration of Palaeoproterozoic events producing ore-bearing layered intrusions of the Baltic Shield: metallogenic, petrological and geodynamic implications, T Bayanova, J Ludden & F Mitrofanov
- Palaeomagnetism of the Salla Diabase Dyke, northeastern Finland, and its implication for the Baltica–Laurentia entity during the Mesoproterozoic, J Salminen, L J Pesonen, S Mertanen, J Vuollo & M-L Airo
- Sm–Nd data for granitoids across the Namaqua sector of the Namaqua–Natal Province, South Africa, A Pettersson, D H Cornell, M Yuhara & Y Hirahara
- Geodynamic evolution of the 2.25–2.0Ga Palaeoproterozoic magmatic rocks in the Man-Leo Shield of the West African Craton. A model of subsidence of an oceanic plateau, M Lompo
- U–Pb and Sm–Nd constraints on the nature of the Campinorte sequence and related Palaeoproterozoic juvenile orthogneisses,Tocantins Province, central Brazil, M E S D Giustina, C G De Oliveira, M M Pimentel, L V De Melo, R A Fuck, E L Dantas & B Buhn
- Evidence for 2.35 to 2.30Ga juvenile crustal growth in the northwest Borborema Province, NE Brazil, T J S Dos Santos, A H Fetter, W Randall Van Schmus & P C Hackspacher
- SHRIMP U–Pb c. 1860 Ma anorogenic magmatic signatures from the NW Himalaya: implications for Palaeoproterozoic assembly of the Columbia Supercontinent, S Singh, A K Jain & M E Barley
- Palaeoproterozoic seismites (fine-grained facies of the Chaibasa Formation, east India) and their soft-sediment deformation structures, R Mazumder, J P Rodríguez-López, M Arima & A J Van Loon
- Correlations and reconstruction models for the 2500–1500 Ma evolution of the Mawson Continent, J L Payne, M Hand, K M Barovich, A Reid & D A D Evans
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!