+44 1803 865913
By: Kathleen Schwerdtner Máñez(Editor), Bo Poulsen(Editor)
223 pages, 15 colour & 30 b/w illustrations, 15 colour tables
Marine environmental history analyses the changing relationships between human societies and marine natural resources over time. This is the first book which deals in a systematic way with the theoretical backgrounds of this discipline. Major theories and methods are introduced by leading scholars of the field. Perspectives on Oceans Past seeks to encapsulate some of the major novelties of this fascinating new discipline and its contribution to the management, conservation and restoration of marine and coastal ecosystems as well as the cultural heritages of coastal communities in different parts of the world.
1. Of seascapes and people - multiple perspectives on oceans past
2. Acknowledging long-term ecological change: the problem of shifting baselines
3. Historical Fishing Communities
4. Archaeology as a tool for understanding past marine resource use and its impact
5. Human archives: Historians' methodologies and past marine resource use
6. On the need to study fishing power change: challenges and perspectives
7. Ecological indicators and food-web models as tools to study historical changes in marine ecosystems
8. Illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing in historical perspective
9. Oral Histories: Informing Natural Resource Management Using Perceptions of the Past
10. A sea-change in the sea? Perceptions and practices towards sea turtles and manatees in Portugal's Atlantic Ocean legacy
11. Fish is women's business too - looking at marine resource use through a gender lens
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Dr. Kathleen Schwerdtner Máñez is affiliated at the Leibniz Center for Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT) in Germany. Prof. Dr Bo Poulsen is affiliated at the Aalborg University in Denmark.
Your orders support book donation projects
The shipment arrived, beautifully packaged, in perfect condition. Thanks for your exceptional service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985