Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
This is the most up to date version of Batsound. So that your order can be processed quickly, please let us know at the time of ordering which version of Windows you will be using this software with.
BatSound is an efficient, high-performance tool for various types of sound analysis. It is suitable for sound analysis in general, but also includes a number of features particularly useful to analyze bat calls recorded from a bat detector.
* An easy-to-use and powerful tool for analysis of bioacoustic sounds.
* Support for Windows XP (version 4.1 on CD), Windows Vista (version 4.1 on CD) and Windows 7, 8 and 10.
* New recording and playback routines. Separate "Recording Status" dialog box showing the status and enabling pause/resume recording. Pause function also added for playback.
* Functions to facilitate using files generated with the D1000X detector:
* Support for larger files
* "Play Speed" function to allow playing files with high sampling rate at reduced speed (i.e. as a time expanded file)
* Display of "File Properties", including any GPS data that was stored in the file.
* New file formats for improved compatibility with other sound editor programs.
* Import function to enable opening other file types than wav (e.g. mp3). This requires a codec for the desired format (which most computers already have).
* "Open Next" function opens the next file relative to the current active file (in alphabetical order).
* More than one file can be opened in the Open File dialog box.
* Support for higher sampling frequency (recording up to 192 kHz, playback up to 768 kHz) and bit depth (up to 32 bits). This requires that the sound card supports the chosen sampling frequency/bit depth.
* Commands to move the cursor to the beginning/end of file.
* Min and max frequency can be chosen in "Spectrogram Settings - default" dialog box.
* Various minor changes and bug fixes.
BatSound is optimised for analysis of time expanded bat calls (i.e. those made by a Time Expansion detector such as the Pettersson D-240X). It can be used with a Frequency Division detector (such as the Pettersson D-230), but the resolution in the diagrams will be lower. This is a consequence of the fact that each bat call from a Frequency Division detector is shorter than that of a Time Expansion detector. Manually decreasing the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) size in Batsound for the sonograms is sometimes required with Frequency Division signals in order to improve the appearance of the diagrams.
Batsound Bat Call Analysis Software
by Batty Peter from East Anglia in United Kingdom
Easy to use with powerful features is how it is described and this product lives up to these claims. Having used other products I found the softwares feature of displaying harmonics both on the sonogram and power display very useful as a means of confirming species. Its ability to load recordings of up to one hour also assists in the rapid interpretation of results.
It has some advance features, pulse width, interval and analysis which you do need to play around with in order to appreciate them. They do however, once you are used to them offer a lot of data, this applies in particular to the pulse analysis.
On the down side I did not think, at first, that the sonogram display was as good as Batscan's sonogram. Once I realised that the sonogram parameters could be easilly altered this problem disappeared.
A useful new feature might be a PRF or count of pulses transmitted per second.
What a treat to receive a printed manual that you could read and write notes in! Some of the more technical sections however could do with a bit more explaining.
On the whole - very pleasing.