A pole mounted box is ideal for siting in locations where there are no suitable trees and walls to attach a roost to. They also allow you to position your box or boxes where they can get the maximum amount of sunlight.
This large colony bat box has been specially designed to attract maternity colonies of crevice dwelling bats such as common and soprano pipistrelles. It provides a bigger roost space than the pole mounted maternity bat box. Treated externally with a black non-toxic preservative, the box will absorb and retain heat from the sun which is further retained by the three internal ceramic panels. These panels also divide the internal chamber into three crevices, which provide bats such as pipstrelles with the roosting environment that they prefer.
The pole mounted large colony box includes either one or two large colony bat boxes along with either a 4m, 5m or 6m pole. The 4 metre pole is manufactured in aluminium tube and powder coated in grey, whilst for greater strength, the 5 and 6 metre poles are made from structural steel tube, galvanised and powder coated in black. These large wooden boxes attach to the pole using fixing rails (fixings included). If using the two box option, the boxes are attached back to back which provides bats with a choice of environments and thermal conditions. The pole should be sunk around 1m into the ground for stability. However, as ground conditions vary, it is advised that a builder or structural engineer is consulted before installing this box. Apart from erecting the pole, the only tool needed is a spanner (or a screwdriver for the metal band version) to fix the boxes onto the pole.
Please note - this item will be drop shipped directly from the manufacturer in two parts, with the pole being sent in one 4m/5m/6m length. Shipping charge will be a minimum of £12.50 + VAT for mainland UK locations.
* Pole (4m): Aluminium, 4m long, 76mm diameter, Grey
* Pole (5m): Steel, 5m long, 76mm diameter, powder coated in black
* Pole (6m): Steel, 6m long, 76mm diameter, powder coated in black
* Box: FSC exterior grade European birch
* Materials: Plywood with ceramic inserts
* Box construction: Panels stabled together with surface sunk staples
* Finish: External surfaces treated with water-based, non-toxic, non-volatile wood treatment
* Single box dimensions: 78cm H x 34cm W x 13cm D
* Entrance: 17mm wide
* Internal: Three crevices approximately 20mm wide with three ceramic inserts
* Weight (box): 16kg
* Weight (Pole 4m): 11kg
* Weight (Pole 5m): 14kg
* Weight (Pole 6m): 17kg
* Access: Removable roof secured with two screws
* Fixing: Rail/screw/clip fixing system for attaching box to pole