+44 1803 865913
By: D Peter Snustad(Author), Michael J Simmons(Author)
821 pages, colour illustrations, tables
Principles of Genetics is one of the most popular texts in use for the introductory course. It opens a window on the rapidly advancing science of genetics by showing exactly how genetics is done. Throughout, the authors incorporate a human emphasis and highlight the role of geneticists to keep students interested and motivated. The sixth edition has been updated to reflect the latest developments in the field of genetics. Principles of Genetics continues to educate today's students for tomorrow's science by focusing on features that aid in content comprehension and application.
1. The Science of Genetics
2. Cellular Reproduction and Model Genetic Organisms
3. Mendelism: The Basic Principles of Inheritance
4. Extensions of Mendelism
5. The Chromosomal Basis of Mendelism
6. Variation in Chromosome Number and Structure
7. Linkage, Crossing Over, and Chromosome Mapping in Eukaryotes
8. The Genetics of Microorganisms
9. DNA and the Molecular Structure of Chromosomes
10. Replication of DNA and Chromosomes
11. Transcription and RNA Processing
12. Translation and the Genetic Code
13. Mutation, DNA Repair, and Recombination
14. Definitions of the Gene
15. The Techniques of Molecular Genetics
17. Applications of Molecular Genetics
18. Transposable Genetic Elements
19. The Genetics of Mitochondria and Chloroplasts
20. Regulation of Gene Expression in Prokaryotes and Their Viruses
21. Regulation of Gene Expression in Eukaryotes
22. The Genetic Control of Animal Development
23. The Genetic Control of the Vertebrate Immune System
24. The Genetic Basis of Cancer
25. Inheritance of Complex Traits
26. Population Genetics
27. Evolutionary Genetics
Epilogue: Genetics Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, a Personal View
Photo and Illustrations Credits
Answers to Odd-Numbered Questions and Problems
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Pete Snustad has served as Dean of Undergraduate Studies at UMN and continues to teach Genetics every year. He received his Ph.D. at the University of California, Davis.
Michael Simmons is a well-regarded Genetics researcher and very focused teacher. He ran the intro general biology course at UMN for years and has an excellent feel for content and pedagogy as well as being on top of his field. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin.
Your orders support book donation projects
I have always been MOST impressed by the efficiency, courtesy, integrity and professionalism of NHBS!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985