The mountains of the Mediterranean world are now largely ice free, but many were repeatedly glaciated during the Quaternary ice age. This created spectacular glaciated landscapes with a rich array of glacial deposits and landforms. The glacial and glacio-fluvial records are often very well preserved and our understanding of the timing of Quaternary glaciation has very recently been transformed through the application of dating methods utilizing uranium-series and cosmogenic isotopes. Glacial records from the Mediterranean now boast some of the most robust chronologies for mountain glaciation anywhere in the world – they represent a unique archive of Quaternary environmental change of global significance. The southerly latitude and relatively small size of Mediterranean glaciers rendered them especially sensitive to Pleistocene and Holocene climate changes. Quaternary Glaciation in the Mediterranean Mountains brings together the leading researchers and the latest research on Mediterranean glaciation. Several papers also explore glacier behaviour in the Holocene – including those glaciers of southernmost Europe at risk of disappearing this century.
- Quaternary glaciation in the Mediterranean mountains: a new Synthesis
HUGHES, P. D. & WOODWARD, J. C.
- Pleistocene plateau ice fields in the High Atlas, Morocco
HANNAH, G., HUGHES, P. D. & GIBBARD, P. L.
0 Quaternary glacial history of the Cantabrian Mountains of northern Spain: a new synthesis
SERRANO, E., GONZÁLEZ-TRUEBA, J. J., PELLITERO, R. & GÓMEZ-LENDE, M.
- Evidence of glacial activity during the Oldest Dryas in the mountains of Spain
PALACIOS, D., DE ANDRÉS, N., GÓMEZ-ORTIZ, A. & GARCÍA-RUIZ, J. M.
- Did Pyrenean glaciers dance to the beat of global climatic events? Evidence from the Würmian sequence stratigraphy of an ice-dammed palaeolake depocentre in Andorra
TURU, V., CALVET, M., BORDONAU, J., GUNNELL, Y., DELMAS, M., MANUEL VILAPLANA, J. & JALUT, G.
- Glacial history of the Maritime Alps from the Last Glacial Maximum to the Little Ice Age
FEDERICI, P. R., RIBOLINI, A. & SPAGNOLO, M.
- Middle Pleistocene glaciations in the Apennines, Italy: new chronological data and preservation of the glacial record
GIRAUDI, C. & GIACCIO, B.
- Pleistocene glaciation in Mediterranean Slovenia
FERK, M., GABROVEC, M., KOMAC, B., ZORN, M. & STEPIŠNIK, U.
- Middle Pleistocene glaciation, alluvial fan development and sea-level changes in the Bay of Kotor, Montenegro
ADAMSON, K. R., WOODWARD, J. C., HUGHES, P. D., GIGLIO, F. & DEL BIANCO, F.
- Glacial history of Mt Chelmos, Peloponnesus, Greece
POPE, R. J., HUGHES, P. D. & SKOURTSOS, E.
- The significance of tectonism in the glaciations of Greece
BATHRELLOS, G. D., SKILODIMOU, H. D. & MAROUKIAN, H.
- Synchronous Last Glacial Maximum across the Anatolian peninsula
AKÇAR, N., YAVUZ, V., YESILYURT, S., IVY-OCHS, S., REBER, R., BAYRAKDAR, C., KUBIK, P. W., ZAHNO, C., SCHLUNEGGER, F. & SCHLÜCHTER, C.
- Cosmogenic 36Cl geochronology of late Quaternary glaciers in the Bolkar Mountains, south central Turkey
ÇINER, A. & SARIKAYA, M. A.
- Late Quaternary glaciations in the eastern Mediterranean
SARIKAYA, M. A. & ÇINER, A.