+44 1803 865913
By: Henrique Miguel Pereira(Editor), Laetitia M Navarro(Editor)
227 pages, colour photos, colour & b/w illustrations, tables
Some European lands have been progressively alleviated of human pressures, particularly traditional agriculture in remote areas. Rewilding European Landscapes proposes that this land abandonment can be seen as an opportunity to restore natural ecosystems via rewilding. We define rewilding as the passive management of ecological successions having in mind the long-term goal of restoring natural ecosystem processes. Rewilding European Landscapes aims at introducing the concept of rewilding to scientists, students and practitioners.
The first part presents the theory of rewilding in the European context. The second part of Rewilding European Landscapes directly addresses the link between rewilding, biodiversity, and habitats. The third and last part is dedicated to practical aspects of the implementation of rewilding as a land management option. We believe that Rewilding European Landscapes will both set the basis for future research on rewilding and help practitioners think about how rewilding can take place in areas under their management.
"[...] Rewilding European Landscapes represents a comprehensive overview of some of the rewilding discussions happening in Europe right now. The book provides a noticeable diversity of perspectives on an incredibly complex issue, and makes a good job of presenting possible ways forward. [...] this book is certainly a key resource for anyone interested in joining the discussion and helping carve the next steps."
– Nathalie Pettorelli, BES Bulletin, 47(4), December 2016
Part I - The Theory of Rewilding
1. Rewilding Abandoned Landscapes in Europe
2. European Wilderness in a Time of Farmland Abandonment
3. Ecosystem Services: the Opportunities of Rewilding in Europe
Part II - Rewilding and Biodiversity
4. Bringing Large Mammals Back: Large Carnivores in Europe
5. Top Scavengers in a Wilder Europe
6. Rewilding: Pitfalls and Opportunities for Moths and Butterflies
7. Vegetation Restoration and Other Actions to Enhance Wildlife in European Agricultural Landscapes
8. Maintaining Disturbance-dependent Habitats
Part III - Rewillding in Practice
9. Rewilding Europe: A New Strategy for an Old Continent
10. Preparing a New Generation of Wilderness Entrepreneurs
11. Towards a European Policy for Rewilding
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I ordered a book from NHBS, it reached India within 7 days by standard shipping! Wonderful packing.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985