By: Charles Jaeger(Author)
523 pages, b/w illustrations, tables
The first edition of Rock Mechanics and Engineering bridged the gap between scientific research on rock mechanics and practical engineering. It was resolutely aimed at giving practical information to geologists, engineering geologists and engineers. Emphasis was placed on the lessons to be learnt from the study of case histories, with the Malpasset Dam rupture and the large Vajont rock slide amongst those described.
In this second, enlarged edition the author continues to emphasise aspects of rock mechanics. Modern efforts at establishing an engineering classification of rocks are summarised and considerable attention is given to the Austrian tunnelling method. Firm in his belief that there is no better way to study the subject than by the detailed analysis of case histories, Dr Jaeger has incorporated a number of new ones, for example the discussion on the engineering classification of jointed rock masses and the required rock support is illustrated by descriptions of the second Gotthard Tunnel and the design of the third, much larger tunnel.
Preface to the first edition
Part I. Introduction to rock mechanics
1. The historical development of rock mechanics
2. Engineering geology and rock mechanics
Part II. Rock material and rock masses
3. Fundamental concepts and description of fissures
4. Physical and mechanical properties of rock material
5. Residual stresses in rock masses in situ
6. Strains, modulus of deformation and failure in rock masses
7. Mathematical approach to strain-stress distribution in rock masses
8. Interstitial water in rock material and rock masses
Part III. Rock mechanics and engineering
9. Rock slopes and rock slides
10. Galleries , tunnels, mines and underground excavations
11. Rock mechanics and dam foundations
Part IV. Case histories
12. Dam foundations and tunnelling
13. Incidents, accidents, dam disasters
14. The Vajont rock slide
15. Two examples of rock slopes supported with cables
16. Three examples of large underground hydro-power stations
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is one of my favorite vendors.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985