927 pages, 16 plates with colour photos; b/w illustrations, tables
This revised and expanded reference is a valuable aid for the practicing veterinary clinician in diagnosing and determining treatment for toxic exposures in small animals, and for veterinary students as a supplement to their classroom instruction. It contains chapters addressing non-traditional areas of toxicology not covered in conventional toxicology texts. It also covers areas of toxicology which seem basic but are rarely discussed, such as taking a toxicological history, establishing a minimum database, providing supportive care, and managing emergency treatment of the poisoned patient. Small Animal Toxicology is organized into three sections, including 20 new chapters and new topics such as grapes and raisins, lilies, "Christmas time" plants, mercury, and accidental poisoning in non-traditional pets.
Section 1: Toxicological Concepts
1. General Toxicological Concepts
2. Toxicokinetics and Toxicodynamics
3. Toxicologic Information Resources
4. Effective Use of Veterinary Poison Center NEW!
5. Effective Use of Human Poison Center
6. Taking a Toxicologic History
7. Approach to Diagnosis and Initial Treatment
8. Selecting a Minimum Database
9. Initial Management of the Poisoned Patient
11. General Supportive Care
12. Effective Use of the Diagnostic Lab
Section 2: General Exposures
13. Litigation and Toxicology NEW!
14. Indoor Environmental Quality and Health
15. Responding to Mass Exposures NEW!
16. Reproductive Toxicology of the Male and Female
17. Considerations in the Poisoned Pregnant and Lactating Patient
18. Considerations in the Pediatric Poisoned Patient NEW!
19. Considerations in the Geriatric Poisoned Patient NEW!
20. Poisoning in the Captive Reptile
21. Poisoning in the Small Mammal (pocket pets) NEW!
22. Poisoning in the Avian Patient NEW!
Section 3: Miscellaneous Toxicant Groups
23. Adverse Drug Reactions
24. Miscellaneous Indoor Toxicants
25. "Recreational" Drugs
26. Herbal and Natural Products (homeopathic)
27. Household and Garden Plants
28. Miscellaneous Herbicides, Fungicides, and Nematocides
29. Smoke Inhalation (house fires)
32. Anticoagulant Rodenticides
37. Carbon Monoxide
39. "Christmas time" Plants
40. Citrus Oils
45. Diethylene Glycol
47. Ethylene Glycol
48. Grapes and Raisins
49. Insects - Hymenoptera
52. Ivermectin: Macrolide Antiparasitic Agents
55. Poisonous Lizards
56. Macadamia Nuts
65. Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatories
66. Organochlorine Pesticides
67. Organophosphate and Carbamate Pesticides
68. Oxalate-Containing Plants
70. Atypical Topical Spot-On Products
71. Petroleum Hydrocarbons
72. Propylene Glycol
73. Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids
75. Snake Bite - North American Pit Vipers
76. Snake Bite - Coral Snakes
78. Sodium Monofluoroacetate
79. Spider Envenomation - Black Widow
80. Spider Envenomation - Brown Recluse
83. Xylitol NEW!
85. Zinc Phosphide
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!