582 pages, ~200 colour & b/w photos and colour & b/w illustrations, colour tables
The fourth edition of Soil Microbiology, Ecology and Biochemistry updates this widely used reference as the study and understanding of soil biota, their function, and the dynamics of soil organic matter has been revolutionized by molecular and instrumental techniques, and information technology. Knowledge of soil microbiology, ecology and biochemistry is central to our understanding of organisms and their processes and interactions with their environment. In a time of great global change and increased emphasis on biodiversity and food security, soil microbiology and ecology has become an increasingly important topic.
Revised by a group of world-renowned authors in many institutions and disciplines, Soil Microbiology, Ecology and Biochemistry relates the breakthroughs in knowledge in this important field to its history as well as future applications. The new edition provides readable, practical, impactful information for its many applied and fundamental disciplines. Professionals turn to this text as a reference for fundamental knowledge in their field or to inform management practices.
(1) Soil Microbiology, Ecology and Biochemistry: An Exciting Present and Great Future Built on Basic Knowledge and Unifying Concepts
(2) The Soil Habitat
(3) The Bacteria and Archaea
(4) The Soil Fungi: Occurrence, Phylogeny, and Ecology
(5) Soil Fauna: Occurrence, Biodiversity, and Roles in Ecosystem Function
(6) Molecular Approaches to Studying the Soil Biota
(7) Physiological and Biochemical Methods for Studying Soil Biota and their Functions
(8) The Spatial Distribution of Soil Biota
(9) The Metabolic Physiology of Soil Microorganisms
(10) The Ecology of Soil Biota and their Function
(11) Plant-Soil Biota Interactions
(12) Carbon Cycling: The Dynamics and Formation of Organic Matter
(13) Methods for Studying Soil Organic Matter: Nature, Dynamics, Spatial Accessibility, and Interactions with Minerals
(14) Nitrogen Transformations
(15) Biological N Inputs
(16) Biological Cycling of Inorganic Nutrients and Metals in Soils and Their Role in Soil Biogeochemistry
(17) Modeling the Dynamics of Soil Organic Matter and Nutrient Cycling
(18) Management of Soil Biota and Their Processes
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Eldor A. Paul is a Senior Research Scientist at the Natural Resources Ecology Laboratory at Colorado State University, Fort Collins and Professor Emeritus at Michigan State University, East Lansing. During his time at Michigan State, he was professor of Soil Microbiology and Biochemistry, and Crop and Soil Sciences. He earned degrees from the University of Alberta and the University of Minnesota. His research focuses on the dynamics of soil organic matter and the microbial ecology of soil. Dr. Paul is a Fellow of ASA, SSSA, the Canadian Society of Soil Science, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.