The second edition of The Biomarker Guide is a fully updated and expanded version of this essential reference. Now in two volumes, it provides a comprehensive account of the role that biomarker technology plays both in petroleum exploration and in understanding Earth history and processes. Biomarkers and Isotopes in Petroleum Exploration and Earth History itemizes parameters used to genetically correlate petroleum and interpret thermal maturity and extent of biodegradation. It documents most known petroleum systems by geologic age throughout Earth history.
"The authors have clearly and thoroughly explained the widespread application of biomarkers in the exploration and production of petroleum. No other book shows these organic markers so clearly as a useful tool for the operating geologist, the reservoir engineer, and professors and their students who work in the petroleum field."
- John M. Hunt, Petroleum Geochemist, 1982 Alfred Treibs Medalist, author of Petroleum Geochemistry and Geology (1996)
"The updated and expanded Biomarker Guide, 2nd Edition has the quality and depth to become the 'scientific bible'for a diverse audience of experts and newcomers in this interdisciplinary field of science, ranging from geologists and archaeologists to environmental scientists, microbiologists, and chemists."
- Dietrich H. Welte, Organic Geochemist, 1983 Alfred Treibs Medalist, co-author of Petroleum Formation and Occurrence (1984)
"The 2nd Edition of The Biomarker Guide contains the most comprehensive discussion of the world's petroleum systems available. It is a 'must have' for all petroleum geologists and students of subsurface fluid systems."
- Leslie B. Magoon, Petroleum Systems Analyst, recipient as co-editor of the R.H. DottSr. Memorial Award for AAPG Memoir 60 The Petroleum System – From Source to Trap
"The Biomarker Guide 1st Edition has been an indispensable reference for virtually all organic geochemists for the past ten years. I use it constantly and eagerly await my copy of the revised and extended 2nd Edition. It will certainly remain the standard reference for my classes and laboratory."
- Roger E. Summons, Biogeochemist, 2003 Alfred Treibs Medalist, Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
"The 2nd Edition is an excellent synthesis of biomarker and isotopic geochemistry in petroleum research with a greatly expanded treatment of applications to environmental issues, the latter filling what has hitherto been a significant gap in the literature. This two-volume set will be an important resource for graduate teaching."
- Barbara Sherwood Lollar, Isotope Geochemist, University of Toronto, profiled in TIME magazine's Leaders of the 21st Century for research on tracing organic contaminants in groundwater
Praise for first edition:
"The authors should be congratulated for compiling and publishing this important and useful guide."
- Raphael Ikan, Organic Geochemistry
"his book will rapidly become the standard in the field [...] required reading for anyone interested in understanding biomarkers and their application in petroleum geology."
- Joseph A. Curiale, American Association of Petroleum Geologists
"The book is a must for any geological research library, and certainly a necessary reference for petroleum research."
- William D. Bischoff, Carbonates and Evaporites
About the authors
Part II. Biomarkers and Isotopes in Petroleum Systems and Earth History
12. Geochemical correlation and chemometrics
13. Source- and age-related biomarker parameters
14. Maturity-related biomarker parameters
15. Non-biomarker maturity parameters
16. Biodegradation parameters
17. Tectonic and biotic history of the Earth
18. Petroleum systems through time
19. Problem areas and further work
Appendix: geologic time charts
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!