The Carboniferous was the time of the assembly of Pangaea by the collision of the Gondwanan and Larussian supercontinents, and the principal interval of the late Paleozoic ice ages. These tectonic and climatic events caused dramatic sea-level fluctuations and climate changes and produced a Carboniferous world that was diverse topographically and climatologically, perhaps only rivalled in that diversity by the late Cenozoic world. Furthermore, the Carboniferous was a time of the accumulation of vast coal deposits of great economic and societal significance. The temporal ordering of geological and biotic events during Carboniferous time thus is critical to the interpretation of some unique and pivotal events in Earth history. This temporal ordering is based on the Carboniferous timescale, which has been developed and refined for nearly two centuries. The Carboniferous Timescale reviews the history of the development of the Carboniferous chronostratigraphic scale and includes comprehensive analyses of Carboniferous radioisotopic ages, magnetostratigraphy, isotope-based correlations, cyclostratigraphy and timescale-relevant marine and non-marine biostratigraphy and biochronology.
- The Carboniferous timescale: an introduction / Lucas, S. G., Schneider, J. W., Nikolaeva, S. and Wang, X.
- The Carboniferous chronostratigraphic scale: history, status and prospectus / Lucas, S. G., Schneider, J. W., Nikolaeva, S. and Wang, X.
- Russian regional Carboniferous stratigraphy / Alekseev, A. S., Nikolaeva, S. V., Goreva, N. V., Donova, N. B., Kossovaya, O. L., Kulagina, E. I., Kucheva, N. A., Kurilenko, A. V., Kutygin, R. V., Popeko, L. I. and Stepanova, T. I.
- Proposed chronostratigraphic units for the Carboniferous and early Permian of the southwestern Gondwana margin / González, C. R. and Díaz Saravia, P.
- A geomagnetic polarity timescale for the Carboniferous / Hounslow, M. W.
- Carboniferous isotope stratigraphy / Chen, J., Chen, B. and Montañez, I. P.
- Current synthesis of the penultimate icehouse and its imprint on the Upper Devonian through Permian stratigraphic record / Montañez, I. P.
- Carboniferous smaller Foraminifera: convergences and divergences / Vachard, D. and Le Coze, F.
- Carboniferous fusuline Foraminifera: taxonomy, regional biostratigraphy, and palaeobiogeographic faunal development / Ueno, K.
- Global Carboniferous brachiopod biostratigraphy / Angiolini, L., Cisterna, G. A., Mottequin, B., Shen, S.-Z. and Muttoni, G.
- Carboniferous crinoids / Ausich, W. I., Kammer, T. W. and Mirantsev, G. V.
- Carboniferous biostratigraphy of rugose corals / Wang, X.-D., Yang, S.-R., Yao, L., Sugiyama, T. and Hu, K.-yi
- Carboniferous ammonoid genozones / Nikolaeva, S. V.
- Carboniferous conodont biostratigraphy / Barrick, J. E., Alekseev, A. S., Blanco-Ferrera, S., Goreva, N. V., Hu, K., Lambert, L. L., Nemyrovska, T. I., Qi, Y., Ritter, S. M. and Sanz-López, J.
- The biostratigraphy of Carboniferous chondrichthyans / Ginter, M.
- Appalachian coal bed palynofloras: changes in composition through time and comparison with other areas / Eble, C. F.
- Carboniferous macrofloral biostratigraphy: an overview / Opluštil, S., Cleal, C. J., Wang, J. and Wan, M.
- Improved blattoid insect and conchostracan zonation for the Late Carboniferous, Pennsylvanian, of Euramerica / Schneider, J. W., Scholze, F., Ross, A. J., Blake, B. M. Jr and Lucas, S. G.
- A global review of Carboniferous marine and non-marine bivalve biostratigraphy / Amler, M. R. W. and Silantiev, V. V.
- Carboniferous tetrapod footprint biostratigraphy, biochronology and evolutionary events / Lucas, S. G., Stimson, M. R., King, O. A., Calder, J. H., Mansky, C. F., Hebert, B. L. and Hunt, A. P.
- Carboniferous tetrapod biostratigraphy, biochronology and evolutionary events / Lucas, S. G.