+44 1803 865913
A reprint of a classical work in the Cambridge Library Collection.
The botanist Robert Brown (1773-1858) is regarded as one of the most significant figures in the advancement of plant science in the nineteenth century. After studying at Aberdeen and Edinburgh, he made the acquaintance of Sir Joseph Banks via William Withering, and in 1801 was appointed as naturalist on Matthew Flinders' expedition to Australia. Brown made extensive collections of animals and minerals, but his 3 400 plant specimens from Australia, Tasmania and Timor were the foundation of his work for the rest of his life, as an active member of the Linnean Society, as Banks's librarian, and as an under-librarian in the British Museum. This two-volume collection of his 'miscellaneous botanical works', edited by John J. Bennett, Brown's assistant at the British Museum, was published in 1866-7. It has not been possible to reissue the accompanying quarto volume of plates.
Volume 1 contains 'Geographico-Botanical Memoirs' and 'Structural and Physiological Memoirs'.
Part I. Geographico-Botanical Memoirs
1. The botany of Terra Australis
2. Plants collected in Abyssinia
3. The herbarium collected by Professor Christian Smith in the Congo
4. Plants collected in Captain Ross's voyage
5. Plants found in Spitzbergen
6. Plants collected in Melville Island
7. Plants collected in central Africa
8. Botany of the Swan River
9. Botanical appendix to Captain Sturt's expedition
Part II. Structural and Physiological Memoirs
1. The parts of fructification in mosses
2. Remarkable deviations from the usual structure of seeds and fruits
3. A new genus of plants, named Rafflesia
4. Rafflesia arnoldi and Hydnora africana
6. Particles contained in the pollen of plants
7. Fecundation in Orchaidaceae and Asclepiadeae (1)
8. Fecundation in Orchidaceae and Asclepiadeae (2)
9. The compound ovarium of plants
10. The embryos in the seeds of conifera
11. The gulf-weed
12. Triplosporite, an undescribed fossil fruit
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is my favorite supplier (very professional and fast). Bravo!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985