+44 1803 865913
Over this last decade, the concept of Social Metabolism has gained prestige as a theoretical instrument for the required analysis, to such an extent that there are now dozens of researchers, hundreds of articles and several books that have adopted and use this concept. However, there is a great deal of variety in terms of definitions and interpretations, as well as different methodologies around this concept, which prevents the consolidation of a unified field of new knowledge.
The fundamental aim of The Social Metabolism is to conduct a review of the past and present usage of the concept of social metabolism, its origins and history, as well as the main currents or schools that exist around this concept. At the same time, the reviews and discussions included are used by the authors as starting points to draw conclusions and propose a theory of socio-ecological transformations. The theoretical and methodological innovations of The Social Metabolism include a distinction of two types of metabolic processes: tangible and intangible; the analysis of the social metabolism at different scales (in space and time) and a theory of socio-ecological change overcoming the merely "systemic" or "cybernetic" nature of conventional approaches, giving special protagonism to collective action.
2. Environmental history as sustainability science
3. Social metabolism: origins, history, approaches and main publications
4. The basic model
5. Social metabolism at the local scale
6. Social metabolism at the regional scale
7. Social metabolism at the national and global scales
8. Global metabolism
9. The cinegetic or extractive mode of social metabolism
10. The organic metabolism
11. The industrial metabolism
12. A non-cybernetic theory of social metabolism
13. Metabolic transitions: a theory of socioecological transformation
14. Epilogue: metabolisms, entropy and sustainable society
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
The efficiency of supply, favourable pricing, and the friendly personal service we receive, makes dealing with NHBS a real pleasure
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985