This classic reference work presents a political, economic and social account of every country of the world together with facts and analysis. The 2012 edition includes:
- Revised and updated biographical profiles of all current leaders
- New and revised economic overviews for every country
- Expanded and updated historical introductions
- Chronology of key political events from April 2010 to March 2011
- NEW: Political and Economic Chronology of the Olympic Games
- NEW: Guide to the world's leading think tanks
- NEW ESSAY:Openness. Not Always the Best Policyby Barry Turner
- Expanded information on festivals around the world
- Detailed maps of all 193 countries
- Time Zones Map
- Flags of the World/Map of the World (Colour Pull-out Section)
- Key World Facts
- Chronology of World Events
- Olympics Chronology
- International Organizations
PART II: COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD A-Z:
- Key Historical Events
- Territory and Population
- Social Statistics
- Constitution and Government
- Government Chronology
- Recent Elections
- Current Administration
- Current Leaders
- International Relations
- Energy and Natural Resources
- International Trade
- Social Institutions
- Diplomatic Representatives
- Further Reading
- Place and International Organizations Index
- Index of Current Leaders
Barry Turner is the seventh editor in the 148-year history of The Statesman's Yearbook. He has a Ph.D. in Political History and has been a full-time writer for 30 years. He has worked as a journalist and broadcaster in the field of politics, biography, travel and education, and is the author of over 20 books. He is a regular contributor to The Times as a book reviewer and serializer.
"The most comprehensive guide to world political and economic affairs"
– Robert Thomson, Publisher, Dow Jones and The Wall Street Journal
"the most convenient and reliable starting point for information on international affairs. Its coverage is unparalleled for a one-volume resource, and it has never let me down"
– George J. Mitchell, American special envoy to the Middle East
"A miracle of compression: the key facts about the entire world crisply collated in [its] tightly edited pages. It is an essential desktop guide for anyone who needs to think, write or talk about the nature and future of our unimaginably odd and constantly surprising planet"
– Godfrey Smith, The Sunday Times
"All you need to know about the population of various states and countries, officials, exports, constitutions, governments, diplomatic representatives, religion, finance and basic histories"
– The New York Times
"full of invaluable material about every country in the world. For someone like me who spends much of my time travelling, it is an invaluable treasure trove. I would warmly recommend it to other readers"
– The Right Honourable Christopher F. Patten, CH, Chancellor of Oxford University
"should be in every office which is concerned with world trade and, indeed, in every school which produces the future traders. It is an essential tool of all global thinking"
– Geographical Magazine
"Originally designed for statesmen but now used by anyone needing information on the politics, cultures, and economies of the world, this yearbook is one of the longest-running annual publications in history"
– Library Journal
"The information this book contains renders it indispensible"
– The New York Times, 1874