803 pages, illustrations, tables
The Sustainability Handbook covers all the challenges, complexities and benefits of sustainability for businesses, governments and organizations. It provides a blueprint for how organizations can reach or exceed economic, social and environmental excellence. It offers a host of practical approaches and tools including a model sustainability policy for organizations, summaries, tips on selecting sustainability codes, an extensive collection of metrics and a wealth of supplementary reference material. This is truly the only reference needed for every organization.
"A truly comprehensive review of sustainable development as it relates to organizations large and small."
– Sir Mark Moody-Stuart, Chairman, Anglo-American plc
"By far the best book on sustainability I have read in the last ten years."
– George Nagel, Senior Director, EHS Strategies and Outreach, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
"Bill Blackburn has accomplished a rare feat: he has crafted the perfect reference for both the academic and the executive. [It] should be required reading for MBA students and seasoned executives."
– Allen White, Senior Fellow, Tellus Institute, Co-Founder and former CEO, Global Reporting Initiative, Co-Founder and Director, Corporation 20/20
"A very complete and detailed account of how to take the difficult concept of sustainable development [...] and make it a valuable tool to help ensure a more just, equitable, and environmentally safe planet."
– Alberto Ninio, Lead Counsel, Environmental and International Law, Legal Vice Presidency, The World Bank
"Blackburn is a powerful voice for a common-sense approach to sustainability."
– Scott Charon, LEED AP, Project Manager, New Product Development, Herman Miller Inc.
"The first complete, practical book about sustainability for all types of organizations."
– George P. Nassos, Director, Environmental Management Program and Center for Sustainable Enterprise, Stuart Graduate School of Business, Illinois Institute of Technology
"An impressive and comprehensive work [...] A real first in the literature."
– Dennis J. Aigner, Professor of Economics, Paul Merage School of Business, University of California, Irvine
"It is full of ideas that will make you think and act differently. Read it, if you care!"
– Brian Kraus, CEO, ERM Certification and Verification Services
"I thoroughly endorsed this publication as an excellent tool to assist those working in sustainability and environmental management."
– AJH, Eagle Bulletin Jan 2008
"This is truly an excellent work on practical sustainability and it is written for both the newcomer to the subject and the experienced practitioner."
– Eagle Bulletin, May 2007
- Introduction and Executive Summary
- Addressing the Confusion About Sustainability: The Typical Executive View
- Determining Scope: An Operational Definition of Sustainability
- The Value of Sustainability: Why Bother?
- Building an SOS: The Key Elements and Basic Structure
- SOS Standards: The Roadmap for Change
- Strategic Planning for Focused Sustainability Improvement
- Selecting Goals and Indicators
- Bringing Sustainability to the Front Line: Deployment, Integration, and Alignment
- Data Systems, Auditing, and Other Monitoring and Accountability Mechanisms
- Transparent Sustainability Reporting
- Stakeholder Engagement; The Role of NGOs
- Approach to Sustainability for Small and Struggling Companies
- Approach to Sustainability for NGOs
- Approach to Sustainability for Governmental Organizations
- Approach to Sustainability for Colleges and Universities
- Keeping the Initiative Alive: Making the SOS Sustainable
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
William R. Blackburn is a lawyer and leading sustainability consultant with three decades of experience. Amongst his positions, Blackburn is a member of the management team of the Stakeholder Council, Global Reporting Initiative and expert delegate of the Working Group on the Guidance on Social Responsibility of ISO 26000. He was former vice-president and chief counsel of Corporate Environment, Health and Safety at Baxter International Inc.