+44 1803 865913
The domestic pig is perceived as an animal with intelligence and character and yet, in the industrialized world, the majority of people have had little or no contact with them. Pigs are subject to a wide range of environments from the tropics to the sub-arctic, ranging from small-scale, extensive systems to large-scale intensive systems. They may spend their whole life on one farm or may be subject to long-distance transport multiple times. Not surprisingly, many aspects of their life experiences can impact their welfare.
This book brings together a team of leading pig welfare research scientists to review the natural history of the pig, the welfare of pigs at different stages of life and to indicate what the future holds in terms of pig welfare. The text is aimed at researchers and teachers working in veterinary and animal science together with those working in the pig industry and for governmental and non-governmental animal welfare organizations.
Series Preface Acknowledgements List of Contributors
1. INTRODUCTION TO THE WELFARE OF PIGS; Jeremy N. Marchant-Forde
2. THE NATURAL BEHAVIOR OF THE PIG; Richard B. D'Eath and Simon P. Turner
3. ADVANCES IN THE STUDY OF COGNITION, BEHAVIOURAL PRIORITIES AND EMOTIONS; Suzanne Held, Jonathan J. Cooper and Michael T. Mendl
4. WELFARE OF DRY SOWS; Jeremy N. Marchant-Forde
5. WELFARE OF PIGS IN THE FARROWING ENVIRONMENT; Anna K. Johnson and Jeremy N. Marchant-Forde
6. HOUSING THE FATTENING PIG; Niamh E. O'Connell
7. PIGS AND HUMANS; Hans A.M. Spoolder and Susanne Waiblinger
8. BALANCE BETWEEN PORCINE DISEASE AND WELFARE; Wim J.A. Boersma, Jan van der Meulen and Theo A. Niewold
9. WELFARE INTO PRACTICE; David C.J. Main
10. WELFARE OF PIGS DURING TRANSPORT AND SLAUGHTER; Jeremy N. Marchant-Forde and Ruth M. Marchant-Forde
11. FUTURE PERSPECTIVES OF THE WELFARE OF PIGS; Donald C. Lay, Jr and Jeremy N. Marchant-Forde
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I will not hesitate to use you again or recommend you to others.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985