About this book
This volume is a unique collection of 33 important academic articles made in the field of tourism and the environment between 1977 and 2008. The articles together represent a wide range of theoretical and applied pieces of research and offer detailed examples from different geographical areas.
Introduction The Evolution of Research on Tourism and the Environment Susanne Becken
PART I CONCEPTS AND THEORY
1. Gerardo Budowski (1976), `Tourism and Environmental Conservation: Conflict, Coexistence, or Symbiosis?'
2. Erlet Cater (1995), `Environmental Contradictions in Sustainable Tourism'
3. Helen Briassoulis (2002), `Sustainable Tourism and the Question of the Commons'
4. Bryan Farrell and Louise Twining-Ward (2005), `Seven Steps Towards Sustainability: Tourism in the Context of New Knowledge'
PART II LOCAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS
5. John J. Pigram (1980), `Environmental Implications of Tourism Development'
6. Debra J. Enzenbacher (1992), `Antarctic Tourism and Environmental Concerns'
7. Paul Messerli (1987), `The Development of Tourism in the Swiss Alps: Economic, Social, and Environmental Effects. Experience and Recommendations From the Swiss MAB Programme'
8. Ove Hoegh-Guldberg (1999), `Climate Change, Coral Bleaching and the Future of the World's Coral Reefs'
PART III GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS
9. Geoffrey Wall and Catherine Badke (1994), `Tourism and Climate Change: An International Perspective'
10. Alice Bows, Paul Upham and Kevin Anderson (2005), `Executive Summary'
11. A. Walz, G.-P. Calonder, F. Hagedorn, C. Lardelli, C. Lundstr#m and V. St#ckli (2008), `Regional CO2 Budget, Countermeasures and Reduction Aims for the Alpine Tourist Region of Davos, Switzerland'
PART IV BEHAVIOUR, VALUES AND ATTITUDES
12. Edgar L. Jackson (1986), `Outdoor Recreation Participation and Attitudes to the Environment'
13. Brian Wheeller (1993), `Sustaining the Ego'
14. Nagothu Udaya Sekhar (2003), `Local People's Attitudes Towards Conservation and Wildlife Tourism Around Sariska Tiger Reserve, India'
15. Graham Miller (2001), `Corporate Responsibility in the UK Tourism Industry'
PART V MARKETS AND PRODUCTS
16. Richard Butler (1992), `Alternative Tourism: The Thin Edge of the Wedge'
17. R.S. de Groot (1983), `Tourism and Conservation in the Galapagos Islands'
18. James Higham and Michael L#ck (2002), `Urban Ecotourism: A Contradiction in Terms?'
PART VI MANAGEMENT AND PLANNING
19. Edward Inskeep (1987), `Environmental Planning for Tourism'
20. P.F.J Eagles and S.F. McCool (2004), `Management of Visitors in National Parks and Protected Areas'
21. Xavier Font (2007), `Ecotourism Certification: Potential and Challenges'
22. Mark B. Orams (1995), `Using Interpretation to Manage Nature-based Tourism'
PART VII POLICY AND ECONOMICS
23. John A. Dixon, Louise Fallon Scura and Tom van't Hof (1993), `Meeting Ecological and Economic Goals: Marine Parks in the Caribbean'
24. Shaul Krakover (1985), `Development of Tourism Resort Areas in Arid Regions'
25. Paul Peeters, Stefan G#ssling and Susanne Becken (2006), `Innovation Towards Tourism Sustainability: Climate Change and Aviation'
26. Rosaleen Duffy (2006), `The Potential and Pitfalls of Global Environmental Governance: The Politics of Transfrontier Conservation Areas in Southern Africa'
27. Peter Forsyth, Larry Dwyer and Harry Clarke (1995), `Problems in Use of Economic Instruments to Reduce Adverse Environmental Impacts of Tourism'
PART VIII METHODS
28. Paolo Figini, Massimiliano Castellani and Laura Vici (2007), `The Externalities Between Tourists and Residents: A Study of Rimini Using Discrete Choice Models'
29. Paul A. Walker, R. Greiner, D. McDonald and V. Lyne (1999), `The Tourism Futures Simulator: A Systems Thinking Approach'
30. Tim Bahaire and Martin Elliott-White (1999), `The Application of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in Sustainable Tourism Planning: A Review'
31. Colin Hunter (2002), `Sustainable Tourism and the Touristic Ecological Footprint'
32. Jozef W.M. van Doorn (1986), `Scenario Writing: A Method for Long-Term Tourism Forecasting?'