The update, using 2 years additional data to 31.12.2012, is an appendix to, and should be used in conjunction with, the original book What Zoos Can Do, published in May 2011.
Whilst the selection criteria for zoos included in the survey remain unchanged, the unique information and analyses have been extended:
- 92 instead of 80 zoos from 23 instead of 21 countries
- 37 instead of 27 factors analysed for ranking lists
- 5 additional species groups of iconic species
- 8 instead of 5 other european zoos of special significance
- Zoos in 3 groups A, B, C instead of A, B
Anthony Sheridan is a life long wildlife enthusiast, a member of the East African Wildlife Society since 1965 and a Fellow of the Zoological Society of London since 1976. He has spent three years visiting, analysing and getting to know 80 leading European Zoological gardens in 21 countries.