About this book
While artificial reefs may have much to offer, they remain an anecdote in the greater scheme of fisheries management, primarily due to the lack of data specific to validating their use. Based on papers presented at the 9th Conference on Artificial Reefs and Artificial Habitats (CARAH) and also including original articles written for this reference, "Artificial Reefs in Fisheries Management" brings to the forefront the current state of knowledge regarding artificial reefs and their pragmatic application to furthering fisheries sustainability. It presents a timely compilation of research to increase options for the implementation of artificial reefs for fishery and natural resource managers.
"Artificial Reefs in Fisheries Management" offers an inclusive and encompassing description of the field by chapter authors drawn from diverse geographical areas. This approach gives readers the broadest of perspectives and reflects regional interests and experience with artificial reefs in different parts of the world.
Coming at an opportune time in the field of artificial reefs, "Artificial Reefs in Fisheries Management" aids researchers and natural resource managers more carefully consider the special features of artificial reefs in their application to resolving fisheries management problems. This book is an important step toward improving the prescribed use of artificial reefs as a viable option in many of the world's fisheries in the quest to make more of the world's fisheries sustainable.
Introduction to the Role Artificial Reefs Play in Fisheries Management
- Artificial Reefs as Unifying and Energizing Factors in Future Research and Management of Fisheries and Ecosystems
- The Artificial Habitat as an Accessory for Improving Estimates of Juvenile Reef Fish Abundance in Fishery Management
- How Artificial Reefs Could Reduce the Impacts of Bottlenecks in Reef Fish Productivity within Natural Fractal Habitats
- An Integrated Coastal Area Management Strategy to Deploy Artificial Reefs
- Artificial Reefs for Lobsters: An Overview of Their Application for Fisheries Enhancement, Management, and Conservation
- A Case Study of Artificial Reefs in Fisheries Management: Enhancement of Sandfish, Arctoscopus japonicus, by Artificial Reefs in the Eastern Waters of Korea
- Assessing Artificial Reefs for Fisheries Management: A 10-Year Assessment off the Northern Coast of Rio de Janeiro
- Artificial Reefs in North Cyprus: An Opportunity to Introduce Fishermen to Sustainable Development
- The Role of Artificial Reefs in Fisheries Management in Turkey
- Artificial Reefs in the Management of Mediterranean Sea Fisheries
- Coastal Fish Farms as Fish Aggregation Devices (FADs)
- Artificial Reefs in Artisanal Fisheries
- The Role of Artificial Reefs in the Sustainability of Artisanal Fisheries
- Artificial Reef Function in Fishing Grounds off Japan
- Artificial Reefs to Induce Upwelling to Increase Fishery Resources
- Estimating the Effective Wake Region (Current Shadow) of Artificial Reefs
- Enhancing Food Production on the Continental Shelf by Artificial Seamounts
- A Pathway to Resolving an Old Dilemma: Lack of Artificial Reefs in Fisheries Management