+44 1803 865913
By: Constanze Pietsch(Editor), Philipp Hirsch(Editor)
379 pages, colour & b/w photos, b/w illustrations, tables
Carp are the backbone of a growing aquaculture industry. Ornamental koi carp fascinate hobby breeders. Carp allow for scientific progress as a model species in laboratories, concern ecosystem managers as an invasive species, and mesmerize anglers as big game. Biology and Ecology of Carp covers all these facets of carp.
Informative and engaging contributions from experts renowned in their fields present original results and review the current state of research on carp. Thirteen cross-linked chapters provide an easily accessible and exhaustive treatise of carp aquaculture, natural and artificial reproduction, feeding and growth, ecosystem effects of carp, and effects of disease agents and toxic substances on carp. Color illustrations and infoboxes help the reader navigate technical terms and complex concepts, explaining how carp interact with their natural or artificial environments. Biology and Ecology of Carp is suitable for everyone interested in carp – from scholars to anglers.
- The natural history of carp and carp genetics; Klaus Kohlmann
- Japanese ornamental koi carp: origin, varieties and genetics; Servaas de Kock and Boris Gomelsky
Aquaculture & Nutrition
- Carp Breeding in Europe and Asia; Pavel Hartman, Gregor Schmid, and Constanze Pietsch Reproduction and First Feeding of Carp; Gregor Schmidt
- Chromosome Set Manipulation and Sex Control in Common Carp; Boris Gomelsky
- Traditional Feeding of Common Carp and Strategies for Replacement of Fish Meal; Gert Füllner
Parasitology & Immunology
- Disease Agents and Parasites of Carp; Jasminca Behrmann-Godel
- The Carp Immune System and Immune Responses to Pathogens; Natalia Ivonne Vera–Jimenez, Geert Frits Wiegertjes, and Michael Engelbrecht Nielsen
- The feeding ecology of carp; Brian Huser and Pia Bartels
- Carp as an invasive species; Brendan J. Hicks and Nicholas Ling
- Sustainable Sport Fishing for Carp; Henrik Ragnarsson-Stabo
- Effects of pesticides on carp; Radka Dobsikova and Josef Velisek
- Effects of natural toxins on carp; Constanze Pietsch
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
I don't know how you got a book printed 26 years ago in the conditions that I received it (like new) but you do it! ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985