+44 1803 865913
By: John Farndon
128 pages, no illustrations
First identified in China, this apparently merciless virus which originated in chickens has the potential to mutate, possibly killing thousands, even millions, of people. But how accurate is this picture? Is it a panic created by the media or a genuine threat against which we should protect ourselves immediately - and how can we do this?
This book answers these questions and also investigates
- the history of pandemics - and how this one might be different
- the last great flu outbreak - the Spanish flu of 1919
- what a virus is and how it spreads
- how antiviral drugs and vaccines work
- how the statistics of death rates are worked out
- what the government's emergency plans are
... and much more. Whether you are worried about the implications of bird flu for you and your family, or you are simply interested in learn more than what you see and read in the media, this book is for you.
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is a national institution, not to say an international one, in the world of natural history!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985