+44 1803 865913
This stunningly illustrated and easy-to-use field guide covers every species of the world's canids, from the Gray Wolf of North America to the dholes of Asia, from African jackals to the South American Bush Dog. It features more than 150 superb colour plates depicting every kind of canid, and detailed facing-page species accounts that describe key identification features, morphology, distribution, subspeciation, habitat, and conservation status in the wild. The book also includes distribution maps and tips on where to observe each species, making Canids of the World the most comprehensive and user-friendly guide to these intriguing and spectacular mammals.
- Covers every species and subspecies of canid
- Features more than 150 colour plates with more than 600 photos from around the globe
- Depicts species in similar poses for quick and easy comparisons
- Describes key identification features, habitat, behavior, reproduction, and much more
- Draws on the latest taxonomic research
- Includes distribution maps and tips on where to observe each species
- The ideal field companion and a delight for armchair naturalists
South American Canids 28
Maned Wolf, Bush Dog, Short-Eared Dog, and South American Foxes
Wolf-like Canids 74
Wolves, Jackals, Coyotes, Dhole, African Dog, and Domestic Dog
Red Fox-like Canids 172
True Foxes, Bat-Eared Fox, and Raccoon Dog
Gray Fox-like Canids 274
Gray Fox and Island Fox
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
José R. Castelló is a medical doctor, naturalist, and wildlife photographer. He is a member of the American Society of Mammalogists and the Spanish Society for Conservation and Study of Mammals. He is the author of Bovids of the World: Antelopes, Gazelles, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, and Relatives (Princeton).
Your orders support book donation projects
I have always been MOST impressed by the efficiency, courtesy, integrity and professionalism of NHBS!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985