+44 1803 865913
Climate Change Biology, 2nd edition examines the evolving discipline of...
By: Lee Hannah(Author)
402 pages, colour & b/w photos, colour & b/w illustrations
Climate Change Biology is a new textbook which examines this emerging discipline of human-induced climate change and the resulting shifts in the distributions of species and the timing of biological events. The text focuses on understanding the impacts of human-induced climate change, but draws on multiple lines of evidence, including paleoecology, modelling and current observation. Climate Change Biology lays out the scope and depth of understanding of this new discipline in terms that are accessible to students, managers and professional biologists.
"[T]he volume is [...] beautifully presented, with numerous color diagrams and photographs of topical species, and is sure to draw out a real excitement in students and an enthusiasm to dig into the primary literature."
– Quarterly Review of Biology
SECTION 1 INTRODUCTION;
- The changing climate around us.;
- What is climate change?;
- The role of climate in ecology and biogeography.
SECTION 2 LESSONS FROM THE PAST;
- Extinctions and other effects in deep time;
- Terrestrial plant and animal responses;
- Marine species and ecosystem changes;
- Freshwater species and ecosystem changes
SECTION 3 THE IMPACTS OF HUMAN INDUCED CLIMATE CHANGE
- Changes in species ranges;
- Changes in timing and process: Phenology;
- Ecosystem impacts
SECTION 4 LOOKING TO THE FUTURE;
- Models of climate and species response;
- Simulating ecosystem response: dynamic vegetation models
- Predictions based on ecological theory;
- Estimating extinction risk from climate change
SECTION 5 IMPLICATIONS FOR CONSERVATION
- Protected areas and connectivity;
- Marine protected areas;
- Conservation in farmlands and ranchlands
SECTION 6 FINDING SOLUTIONS: INTERNATIONAL POLICY AND ACTION
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions, sinks and solutions;
- Land use and biodiversity implications of energy options
-Conclusion: Biodiversity in a greenhouse or a cool planet?
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
Shopping at NHBS is always good. The range of books is wide, the service is excellent, the orders arrive swiftly.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985