Huge product rangeOver 140,000 books & equipment products
Rapid shippingUK & Worldwide
Pay in £, € or U.S.$By card, cheque, transfer, draft
Exceptional customer serviceGet specialist help and advice
Language: French with bilingual summary in English and French
Both genera Tricondyla Latreille and Derocrania Chaudoir are maintained separated. The genus Tricondyla is divided into 5 subgenera: Indotricondyla (5 species), Megatricondyla (4), Tricondyla sensu stricto (32), Stenotricondyla (4), Pseudotricondyla (1). This division is established on the habitus, the shape of both vertex and occiput, and the shape of the male copulative organ (the aedeagus).
The genus Derocrania is divided into 2 subgenera: Derocrania sensu stricto (5 species) and Neoderocrania (11). This division is also established on the habitus, the shape of both vertex and occiput.
The present total number of taxa belonging to the Tricondyla genus is 54 of which 46 are recognized as bonae species while 8 are treated as subspecies. The number of taxa belonging to the Derocrania genus is 16, all recognized as bonae species. On the whole, 70 taxa are treated in this revision. Among them, 52 are previously known taxa and 18 are newly described. They are: Tricondyla (Megatricondyla) darwini, Tricondyla (s. str.) ledouxi, macrodera birmanica, deuvei, schuelei, mourzinei, rivalieri, wiesneri, bengalensis, werneri, niasensis, aptera robusta, fulgida, gracilis,
beccarii cassolai, reducta, Tricondyla (Stenotricondyla) oblita, Derocrania (Neoclerocrania) jaechi.
Referring to the most recent classification (Wiesner, 1992) which closely follows Horn (1926), the status of numerous taxa are modified as follows.
- 14 taxa, previously considered as subspecies, are elevated to species rank. They are: granulifera femorata Walker, macrodera stricticeps Chaudoir, macrodera distincta Fleutiaux, macrodera tuberculata Chaudoir, macrodera ovaligrossa Horn, cyanea brunnea Dokhtouroff, cyanea annulicornis Schmidt-Goebel, cyanea proxima Fleutiaux, cyanea wallacei Thomson, cyanipes conicicollis Chaudoir, cyanipes elongata Horn, cyanipes planiceps Schaum, aptera ventricosa Schaum, aptera ovicollis Motschoulsky.
- 1 new combination is proposed: lumawigi Wiesner, previously considered as subspecies of aptera (Olivier), is classed as subspecies of ventricosa Schaum.
- 10 taxa are treated as synonymous and consequently invalidated. They are: gounellei horni Maindron = gounellei gounellei Horn; indica (Mandl & Wiesner) (previously Derocrania indica) = gounellei gounellei Horn; gounellei loebli (Mandl) (previously Derocrania indica loebli) = gounellei
gounellei Horn; pulchripes freyi Mandl = pulchripes pulchripes White; cyanea paradoxa Horn = brunnea Dokhtouroff; cyanipes brunnipes Motschoulsky = cyanipes cyanipes Eschscholtz; cyanipes nigripennis Mandl = distincta Fleutiaux; cyanipes fuscilabris Mandl = beccarii Gestro; aptera globicollis Chaudoir = aptera punctipennis Chevrolat; cyanipes kambodshensis Mandl = strictipes Chaudoir.
- 2 taxa, previously treated as synonymous are again validated to species rank. They are: beccarii Gestro which replaces cyanipes brunnipes Motschoulsky; doriai Gestro previously synonymous with cavifrons Schaum.
- 11 specimens labelled syntype are designated as lectotype, to specify the status of some species following the original description. The concerned taxa are: Tricondyla femorata, gounellei horni, gestroi gestroi, ovaligrossa, brunnea, beccarii beccarii, elongata, cyanipes, Derocrania schaumi, obscuripes, honorei.
- 1 unique specimen is also designated as lectotype because there is no indication on the number of specimens in the original description: Derocrania concinna.
- To clarify the taxonomy concerning the polytypic species Tricondyla aptera (Olivier) of which the type is revealed not to be found, it is necessary to designate a neotype.