The third edition of Environmental Microbiology for Engineers explores the role that microorganisms play in the engineered protection and enhancement of an environment. Offering a perfect balance of microbiological knowledge and environmental biotechnology principles, it provides a practical understanding of microorganisms and their functions in the environment and in environmental engineering systems. The book also presents a quantitative description of applied microbiological processes and their engineering design. This updated edition includes all new information on construction biotechnology, biogeotechnical engineering, construction biomaterials, environmental engineering of life-support closed ecosystems, defense biotechnologies, and biosafety in civil and environmental engineering.
- Classroom tested in universities as a primary course text for civil and environmental engineering students
- Includes quizzes, problems, and solutions for better understanding of the material
- Covers essential topics such as the diversity and functions of microorganisms in the environment and environmental engineering systems, the structure and functions of microbial ecosystems, applied microbial genetics and molecular biology, environmental bioengineering, and more
- Offers combined coverage of microbiology and biotechnology adapted for students in advanced civil and environmental engineering courses
Environmental Microbiology for Engineers provides a practical understanding of microorganisms in civil engineering processes and their functions in environmental engineering systems. It is intended for upper-level undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate students of civil and environmental engineering. It is also useful for practicing environmental engineers working in the areas of wastewater, solid waste treatment, soil remediation, and ground improvement.
4. Biooxidation and Bioreduction
7. Cells and Cellular Aggregates
8. Microbial Reproduction and Growth
9. Microbial Ecology
10. Classifications of Viruses and Microorganisms
11. Physiological Classification of Prokaryotes
12. The Groups of Anaerobic Fermenting Prokaryotes
13. The Groups of Anoxic Prokaryotes
14. The Groups of Microaerophilic and Facultative Aerobic Prokaryotes
15. The Groups of Aerobic Prokaryotes
16. Microorganisms and Public Health
17. Biosafety In Civil and Environmental Engineering
18. Biotechnological Processes
19. Microbiological Methods Used In Engineering
20. Aquatic Ecosystems
21. Biotreatment of Polluted Water
22. Anaerobic and Anoxic Treatment of Waste
23. Aerobic Treatment of Wastewater
24. Value-Added Microbial By-Products
25. Biotreatment of Industrial Hazardous Wastes
26. Solid Wastes Biotreatment
27. Bioremediation of Polluted Soil
28. Biomaterials and Bioprocesses of Construction Biotechnology
29. Microbiology of Air and Air Biotreatment
30. Microbiology of Closed Ecosystems
31. Biodeterioration, Biocorrosion, and Biofouling
32. Exam Questions and Solutions
Volodymyr Ivanov earned his PhD and Doctor of Sciences degrees in microbiology and biotechnology in the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. His professional experience includes 40 years of graduate and post-graduate teaching and research in microbiology and biotechnology in the universities of Ukraine, Thailand, South Korea, Singapore, and the USA. He has published over 220 papers, 8 patents, and over 30 book chapters and several monographs on microbial physiology, environmental and construction microbiology and biotechnology. His major scientific achievements are the theory of physiological dualism of a growing cell existing in both exotrophic and endotrophic states, revealing of a multicellular bacterial granule as a proto-organism, periodic table of physiological classification of prokaryotes, and the establishing of Construction Biotechnology as a new scientific discipline.
"This book covers important topics for civil and environmental engineering processes such as biodeterioration, biocorrosion, bioclogging, biocementation, and microbially based construction materials. The book can help engineers perform the necessary design calculations for microbial engineering activities."
– Dr. Yung-Tse Hung, Cleveland State University, Ohio, USA
"The main strength of this book is sound connectivity between the microbiology and the environmental systems. I haven't seen any book which talks in detail about the application of microbiology into the environmental systems. Especially the topics related to soil and soil treatment."
– Srinivas Prabakar, The University of Texas at Arlington, USA
"This text book includes a wide range of interesting topics in the area of environmental microbiology for engineers. [...] that will be a great help for scientists, students and engineers on the study and application of microorganisms in environmental protections. "
– Tiehang Wu, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, USA
" [...] the most comprehensive microbiology book [...] covers all the important topics in microbiology and their association in environmental engineering treatment and disposal problems. [...] microorganisms and microbiological processes are reflected with examples related to many fields of environmental engineering."
– Mujde Erten-Unal, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
" [...] comprehensive and wide ranging [...] What I like best is the intuitive format [...] the author first introduces the subject and then proceeds to discuss cost effectiveness followed by concise and easy to follow applications."
– Jan DeJarnette, Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, USA
"This is a great introductory text for engineering students concerned with microbiological processes. The book starts with a justification of why microorganisms can revolutionize engineering approaches before providing insight into concrete examples of microbiological engineering [...] "
– Robin Gerlach, Montana State University, Missoula, USA
" [...] an overall and concise review of the most important and up-to-date topics in environmental microbiology."
– Woo Hyoung Lee, Ph.D., P.E., University of Central Florida
" [...] the author has really achieved something extraordinary here, I wouldn't be able to find this much depth of content in all the fields that the book has covered in several texts. [...] This book is a treasure and a must for any engineering student to fully understand microbial life and its applications to the environment."
– Rehana Rostron, The Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
"I really love the [breadth] of the topics covered in this book. [...] it [extends] to other disciplines of engineering, which adds [breadth] to the topic of engineering microbiology [...] And they can help attract students outside the area of environmental engineering."
– Wen Zhang, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, USA