+44 1803 865913
By: Frank M Dunnivant(Author), Kari Marie Norgaard(Afterword by)
256 pages, 23 b/w illustrations
Unlike many titles on environmental issues that portend a dark future, Environmental Success Stories delves into the most daunting ecological and environmental challenges humankind has faced and shows how scientists, citizens, and a responsive public sector have dealt with them successfully.
In addition to presenting the basic chemical and environmental science underlying problems like providing clean drinking water, removing DDT and lead from agriculture and our homes, and curtailing industrial pollution, Environmental Success Stories also discusses the political actors, agency regulators, and community leaders who have collaborated to enact effective legislation. Sharing the stories of the people, organizations, and governments who have addressed these problems successfully, Frank M. Dunnivant explains how we might confront the world's largest and most complex environmental crisis: climate change. Now is the time for rededicated scientific exploration and enlightened citizen action to save our environment, and Dunnivant's book offers a stirring call to action.
1. Securing Safe, Inexpensive Drinking Water
2. Effective Treatment of Our Wastewaters
3. The Removal of Anthropogenic Lead, and Soon Mercury, from Our Environment
4. Elimination of Chlorinated Hydrocarbons from Our Environment
5. The Safety of Chemicals in Our Food and Water: Risk Assessment
6. Saving Our Atmosphere for Our Children
7. Legislating Industry: The Need and the Success
8. The Rapid Advancement of Technology: Our Best Hope
9. Humans' Greatest Challenge: Climate Change
10. Conclusion and Transition to a Bright Future
Afterword: Imagination, Imagination, Responsibility, and Climate Change, by Kari Marie Norgaard
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!
Frank M. Dunnivant is professor of chemistry at Whitman College. He has worked at two U.S. Department of Energy laboratories. For the past twenty years he has taught an environmental science course to nonscience majors that seeks to inform and inspire action to save the environment.
Your orders support book donation projects
the world’s foremost supplier of natural history and environmental books
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985