Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment (LVIA) can be key to planning decisions by identifying the effects of new developments on views and on the landscape itself. This fully revised edition of the industry standard work on LVIA presents an authoritative statement of the principles of assessment. Offering detailed advice on the process of assessing the landscape and visual effects of developments and their significance, it also includes a new expanded chapter on cumulative effects and updated guidance on presentation. Written by professionals for professionals, the third edition of this widely respected text provides an essential tool for landscape practitioners, developers, legal advisors and decision-makers.
Part 1: Introduction, Scope and Context
2. Definitions, scope and context
Part 2: Principles, Processes and Presentation
3. Principles and overview of processes
4. The proposed development, design and mitigation
5. Assessment of landscape effects
6. Assessment of visual effects
7. Assessing cumulative landscape and visual effects
8. Presenting information on landscape and visual effects
Reviews for previous editions:
"For any self-respecting landscape consultant, Guidelines for Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment [first edition] is an essential reference book. The book is well-constructed, concise, compact and well-made and illustrated."
– The Architects' Journal
"The GLVIA [second edition] is well thought out, logically presented and superbly illustrated. This is essential reading for all consultants involved with landscape and visual impact assessment and should be required reading for all developers."
– David Watson in Urban Design International