With a frequency division function as well as heterodyne, the Duet lets you record all calls for later analysis as well as listening to the bats in heterodyne mode using the great quality speaker
This beginner's kit contains the Magenta Bat 5, four AAA batteries and a handy FSC guide to bats in the UK.
* Free shipping for this item *
The Magenta Bat 5 is a handheld Superheterodyne Bat Detector with an illuminated easy to read LCD frequency display. It is a fantastic entry-level detector which converts bat ultrasonic signals into the human audible range so that you can hear their calls. The Magenta Bat 5 has a dial to allow you to listen to the required frequency and an LCD display which displays the frequency that the detector is tuned into. For details of the frequencies and sounds produced by British bats we recommend the FSC Guide to British Bats, a fold-out field sheet identification guide.
Magenta Bat 5 Features
* Clear backlit 4 digit LCD frequency display - Quartz accurate
* Large digits - highly visible for day and night use
* Enhanced oscillator frequency range 10kHz to 130kHz
* Extended low frequency coverage - suitable for insects and some birds
* Custom moulded compact efficient design
* Specially contoured microphone housing for enhanced frequency sensitivity
* requires 4 x AAA Alkaline, NiCd, or NiMH 'environmentally friendly' rechargeable cells (not provided)
* Low power design gives very long battery life
* Top illuminated large diameter frequency dial
* Conveniently placed output sockets on the bottom edge of the case
* Constant level recorder output socket
* Headphone socket which automatically mutes loudspeaker
* Build in LED torch
* Edgewise volume and frequency controls for easy one-handed operation
* Wrist strap for added security and convenience when taking notes.
* Highly linear heterodyne oscillator for easy frequency setting
* Multi-stage active filters for stable loudspeaker operation over the whole frequency range
* Fixed level recorder output socket - before the volume control - simplifies recording
* Headphone socket suitable for any stereo headphones from 8 ohms upwards
* Short-circuit proof headphone output
* Wide range equalised microphone - sensitive across the whole frequency range
* Low noise circuit techniques optimised for wide bandwidth with minimum noise
Protect your Magenta bat detector from bumps and scratches
Four AAA batteries to power your Magenta Bat 5
For a more economical option try the Magenta Bat 4 without LCD screen
The SSF Bat2 monitors all frequencies simultaneously and lets you jump to the peak frequency at the touch of a button ensuring that you'll never miss a bat flying past
Essential information for getting the most out of your bat detector
Being new to bat monitoring I couldn't decide which bat detector to choose. I eventually decided on the Magenta Bat 5 mostly because this detector is one of the cheapest. It is easy to use and has a useful LCD screen showing the frequency setting which is very useful when trying to identify different bats. The detector was well packaged and included a useful frequency guide for the different bats. After my first ever try with a bat detector I found it easy to dial into Common Pipistrelles and by adjusting the frequency dial up or down you can hear how the peak sound of the call falls away or changes in tone which is useful for positive ID. I was a bit concerned by the background noise but I think this is a feature with most detectors, but when the volume is reduced the bat sounds dominate loud and clear over the background noise. I recommend this detector to anyone becoming interested in bat identification.