+44 1803 865913
By: William J Sutherland(Editor), David A Hill(Editor)
399 pages, 121 b/w photos, 19 colour illustrations
As it becomes ever more expensive to purchase land for conservation purposes, it is becoming increasingly important both to manage existing sites properly, and to create new habitats. This comprehensive volume provides a pragmatic, habitat by habitat guide to conservation management, in which the prescriptions and methods are based upon sound science coupled with practical experience. For each habitat, Managing Habitats for Conservation guides the reader through the options and solutions, shows the problems to look out for, and gives good and bad examples of habitat management in the past. This will be a must for all practising ecologists, land managers, wardens, landscape architects and conservationists, and will provide a valuable reference for students of ecology, conservation and environmental science.
"This book should be on every land-manager's bookshelf (and mostly off it) [...]"
- Franklyn Perring, British Birds
1. Introduction and principles of ecological management W. Sutherland
2. Site management planning G. Hirons, G. Thomas and B. Goldsmith
3. Access J. Vickery
4. Coasts and estuaries C. Frid and P. Evans
5. Rivers, canals and dykes N. Holmes and R. Hanbury
6. Waterbodies J. Andrew
7. Reedbeds, bogs and fens N. Burgess, D. Ward, R. Hobbs and D. Bellamy
8. Grasslands M. Ausden and J. Treweek
9. Farmland D. Hill, J. Andrews, N. Sotherton and J. Hawkins
10. Lowland heaths P. Dolman and R. Land
11. Upland moors and heaths D.Thompson, A. Macdonald and P. Hudson
12. Woodlands G. Peterken and R. Fuller
13. Urban areas C. Baines
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Your orders support book donation projects
NHBS is a national institution, not to say an international one, in the world of natural history!
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985