This volume follows a Specialized Symposium on "Mantle denudation in slow spreading ridges and in ophiolites", held at the XII EUG Meeting in Strasbourg, spring 1993. During the meeting it was felt that the contribu tions to the Symposium justified a volume presenting its main scientific achievements. The present title of Mantle and Lower Crust Exposed in Oceanic Ridges and in Ophiolites shows that the center of interest has slightly shifted with respect to the initial objective: in order to under stand the processes involved in accretion taking place at oceanic ridges, it is crucial to study the interaction between uppermost mantle and lower crust. The approach favored here is that of petrological and structural analysis of oceanic rocks in present-day oceanic ridges combined with similar studies in ophiolites. Rock specimen collected by submersibles or dredge hauls in oceanic ridge environments provide a "ground truth". However, except for areas such as the MARK (Mid-Atlantic Ridge near Kane fracture zone) where, thanks to multiple submersible dives, the local geology is known with aprecision even better than in many onshore ophiolites, mutual relationships between uppermost mantle and lower crust are poorly known. In contrast, onshore ophiolites provide a necessary large-scale picture built up over many years of structural and petrological mapping.
"[...] presents the most recent data and interpretations from several key ophiolite complexes and mid-ocean-ridge segments and, as such, it is a good reference book for research on any aspect of oceanic crust generation. I highly recommend it for graduate students and professionals actively studying mid-ocean-ridge tectonics and sea-floor spreading."
– Journal of Geoscience Education, 45 (1997)
Part I: Marine Studies
- An Ultramafic Lift at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge: Successive Stages of Magmatism in Serpentinized Peridotites from the 15`N Region; M. Cannat, J. F. Casey
- Gabbroic Dikelets in Serpentinized Peridotites from the Mid-Atlantic Ridge at 23`20N; P. Tartarotti, M. Cannat, C. Mevel
- Mafic and Ultramafic Intrusions into Upper Mantle Peridotites from a Fast Spreading Center (Easter Microplate, South East Pacific); M. Constantin, R. Hekinian, D. Ackermand, P. Stoffers
Part II: Ophiolite Studies
- Plastic Deformation of Gabbros in a Slow-Spreading Mesozoic Ridge: Example of the Montgenevre Ophiolite, Western Alps; R. Caby
- Pre-Orogenic High Temperature Shear Zones in an Ophiolite Complex (Bracco Massif, Northern Apennines, Italy); G. Molli
- A Detailed Study of Mantle Flow Away from Diapirs in the Oman Ophiolite; B. Ildefonse, S. Billiau, A. Nicolas
Part III: Numerical Modelling
- Non Steady-State Thermal Model of Spreading Ridges: Implications for Melt Generation and Mantle Outcrops; C. Tisseau, T. Tonnerre
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!