The study of plant mineral nutrition has both academic and applied aspects to it. Today, research into plant mineral nutrition is more pertinent than ever in the face of a growing world population and the increasing need for sustainable agriculture.
In Plant Mineral Nutrients: Methods and Protocols, expert researchers in the field detail a comprehensive collection of methodologies that are routinely used in plant mineral nutrition research. These include methods and protocols for plant growth parameters, ion contents and composition, soil analyses, flux measurements and the use of public facilities for high throughput analyses. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular Biology series format, chapters include introductions to their respective topics, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and key tips on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls.
Authoritative and practical, Plant Mineral Nutrients: Methods and Protocols seeks to aid scientist in the further study of into plants and their mineral nutrients.
1. Roles and Functions of Plant Mineral Nutrients / Frans J.M. Maathuis and Eugene Diatloff
2. Plant Growth and Cultivation / Dorina Podar
3. Protocols for Growing Plant Symbioses; Mycorrhiza / Michael Schultze
4. Protocols For Growing Plant Symbioses; Hizobia / Benjamin Gourion, Marie Bourcy, Viviane Cosson and Pascal Ratet
5. Plant Cell Suspension Cultures / Roberto Moscatiello, Barbara Baldan, and Lorella Navazio
6. Soil Analysis using Visible and Near Infrared Spectroscopy / Johanna Wetterlind, Bo Stenberg and Raphael A. Viscarra Rossel
7. Mineral Composition Analysis: Measuring Anion Uptake and Anion Concentrations in Plant Tissues / Malcolm J. Hawkesford, Saroj Parmar and Peter Buchner
8. Multi-element Plant Tissue Analysis using ICP Spectrometry / T.H. Hansen, T.C. de Bang, K.H. Laursen, P. Pedas, S. Husted and J.K. Schjoerring
9. Mapping Element Distributions in Plant Tissues using Synchrotron X-ray Fluorescence Techniques / Erica Donner, Martin D. de Jonge, Peter M. Kopittke, and Enzo Lombi
10. Flux Measurements of Cations using Radioactive Tracers / D.T. Britto and H.J. Kronzucker
11. Ion Flux Measurements using the MIFE Technique / Sergey Shabala, Lana Shabala, Jayakumar Bose, Tracey Cuin, and Ian Newman
12. Sampling and Analysis of Phloem Sap / Sylvie Dinant and Julia Kehr
13. Methods for Xylem Sap Collection / Alexou M. and Peuke A.D
14. Plant Single Cell Sampling / Wieland Fricke
15. Measurements of Cytosolic Ion Concentrations in Live Cells / Veena S Anil, Kavitha P G, Sam Kuruvilla, Pavan Kumar and M K Mathew
16. Real Time Measurement of Cytoplasmic Ions with Ion Selective Microelectrodes / Anthony J Miller
17. Large Scale Plant Ionomics / John M. C. Danku, Brett Lahner, Elena Yakubova, and David E. Salt
18. Applications of High-throughput Plant Phenotyping to Study Nutrient use Efficiency / Bettina Berger, Bas de Regt, and Mark Tester