Medicinal plants play an important role in alleviating human ailments. The importance of plant based medicine which indeed waxed and waned during the last three centuries, has now found its resurgence by the close of last century. This resurgence of interest in plant based medicine has created an interest in relevant scientific literature pertaining to phytochemistry, pharmacology and therapeutic uses.
In this volume, a comprehensive account of Morphology, Phytochemical constituents, Traditional uses and Pharmacological activities are included in view of many recent findings of importance on Agrimonia, Calligonum sp., Cassia cinnamon, Daphne, Hydnocarpus sp., Lagenaria siceraria, Lippia sidoides Cham, Olea europaea, Pennisetum glaucum, Raphia sp., Seaweeds, Syzygium malaccense, Terminalia chebula, Withania somnifera, Zingiber officinale, etc. Their biological activities in relation to pharmacology have been presented in different chapters.
Other chapters also include biological activities like antimicrobials, anti-inflammation, antioxidant, anticancer, immunomodulation, cardioprotective, anticholestrol, astringent, purgative, diuretic, skin ailments,. Its contributors are from 12 countries namely Brazil, Canada, China, France, Hongkong, India, Italy, Nigeria, North Africa, Poland, Republic of Congo & Turkey. With the development of antimicrobials, micro-organisms have adapted and become resistant to previous antimicrobial agents.
The very first chapter summarizes the mechanism of medicinal herbs with direct and synergistic action in association with antibiotics against Methicillin-Resistant Staphyloccus aureus infections. Three more chapters are included on anti-microbial activities. Five chapters have described the mechanism of action of antioxidant while four on anticancer activities. The review chapter on "Plant Derived Aphrodisiacs" delineates the medicinal plant species mentioned as, aphrodisiac in literature, ingredients in aphrodisiac formulations and scientific work thereon supporting their potential use in medicinal preparations for impaired sexual functions in human beings.
This special volume is designed for professionals of health sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, pharmacognosy, pharmacology, microbiology, agriculture, botany, medicine, therapeutics, traditional medicine, complementary and alternative medicine, herbalism, medical and public health sciences, healthcare professionals of other various disciplines, policy-makers and marketing and economic strategists. It is also addressed to undergraduates, post-graduates, teachers and researchers.
- About the Series
- Foreword to the Series
- Foreword to the Volume
- About the Editores
- Role of Medicinal Herbs in Treatment Against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) Infections
- Agrimonia–Antioxidative Effects and Perspectives for Medicinal Application
- Syzygium malaccense: Traditional Uses, Phytochemistry and Pharmacology
- Chemistry and Pharmacology of Cassia cinnamon: A Review
- Therapeutic uses of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha)
- Medicinal uses of Lippia sidoides Cham. (Verbanaceae)
- Lagenaria siceraria (Molina) Standley – A Natural Multi Therapeutic Agent
- Chemical Constituents and Biological Activities of Daphne Genus: An Overview
- Micropropagation of Olive: Perspectives and New Opportunities for Versatile Medicinal Plant
- Preliminary Investigation on the Antimicrobial Activity of Crude Saponins Extract in Pearl Millet (Pennisetum glaucum)
- Comparative Study of Essential Oils from Two Endemic Calligonum species from Tunisian Desert
- Oils from Raphia species of Congo Basin: Composition, Biodiversity and Quality
- Chemical Constituents, Biosynthesis and Therapeutic Applications of Chaulmoogra Oil
- Polyherbal Drugs as Radioprotective Agents: Present Status and Future Directions
- Development and Validation of an HPTLC Method for Estimation of 6-Gingerol in Extracts and Formulations
- Antioxidant and Anti–inflammatory Properties of Sea-weeds–A Mini Review
- Plant Derived Aphrodisiacs–An Overview
- Medicinal Plants Used in the Practice of Tibetan Medicine
- Subject Index