This book presents a comprehensive review of renewable energy from world authorities in the field. It provides detailed, thematic coverage, including policy recommendations and best practice examples. From technology to financing issues, Renewable Energy: A Global Review of Technologies, Policies and Markets offers a comprehensive and authoritative review of the determining factors that drive worldwide dissemination of renewable energy technologies. With a clear emphasis on policy and action, contributions from internationally-renowned experts combine to form a holistic picture on the current status, impacts and future potential of renewable energy. Addressing the situation in both developing and developed countries, each chapter reviews in detail a different issue, thereby presenting extensive information on social, environmental, political, economic and technological aspects.
Part I - Basics
- The Case for Renewable Energies
- The Potentials of Renewable Energy
- Renewable Energy for Transport
Part II - Policies
- National Policy Instruments: Policy Lessons for the Advancement and Diffusion of Renewable Energy Technologies around the World
- Renewable Energy and Regulation of Energy Markets
- Removing Subsidies: Levelling the Playing Field for Renewable Energy Technologies
- International Institutional Arrangements in Support of Renewable Energy
Part III - Financing
- Mobilizing Finance for Renewable Energies
- Clean Development Mechanism and Joint Implementation: New Instruments for Financing Renewable Energy Technologies
Part IV - Developing Countries
- Putting Development First: The Role of Renewable Energy in Achieving the Millennium Development Goals
- Traditional Biomass Energy: Improving Its Use and Moving to Modern Energy Use
- Gender Equity and Renewable Energies
Part V - Capacities
- Research and Development: The Basis for Widespread Employment of Renewable Energies
- Capacity Development for Renewable Energies: Know-how, Information, Awareness, Education and Training
Dirk Assmann, Ulrich Laumanns and Dieter Uh are affiliated with Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) GmbH, Germany.
"Offers knowledge and inspiration to promote renewable energy in developing and industrialized countries."
– Klaus Toepfer, Executive Director of UNEP
"This wide-ranging review is an impressive attempt to provide an insight into the current state of renewable energy, and the potential that such offer for the future."
"This book has it all [...] The contributions covering environmental, technological, and economic aspects will be indispensible to energy professionals and university researchers alike."
– Andrew Walker, Resource: A New Perspective on Waste, March-April 2007