+44 1803 865913
By: Daanish Mustafa(Author)
256 pages, illustrations
Attempts by governments and NGOs to provide modern solutions to the management of local water resources, and to alleviate the hazards of flooding, often create unforeseen problems adversely affecting future water resources and leading to increased vulnerability to crises. Daanish Mustafa's outlines the need to develop an integrative approach. Introducing the concept of hydro-hazardscape he shows how diverse the social groups affected by a hazard may view it differently, resulting in a differing perception of the threat. Only by adopting an approach that is attentive to the multiple values of water in the communities affected, can one hope for any measure of success. Examples from South Asia, Central America, the Caucasus and the USA, illustrate how the approach will help achieve long-term sustainability in a future filled with climate change.
List of illustrations
1. Introduction: hydro-hazardscapes of modernity
2. Hydro-politics at the basin scale: the Indus
3. Critical legal geographies in hydro-hazardscapes
4. Local hydro-hazardscapes in the rural canal colonies of Pakistan
5. Modernity and vulnerability in a Pakistani urban hazardscape
6. Resilience versus growth as groundwater development objectives in the arid realm
7. Globalization and water privatization in Belize
8. Thou shall not optimize or share: a critical view of the prior appropriations doctrine in the American west
9. Conclusion: mapping the contours of hydro-hazardscapes in a climate change future
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
Daanish Mustaffa is Reader in Human Geography at King's College, London. He was previously Visiting Assistant Professor of Geography at George Mason University and Assistant Professor of Geography at the University of South Florida, St Petersburg. He has worked in Pakistan for the non-profit sector on donor-funded social development and environmental preservation projects. His research interests include critical water resources geography, environmental management, and approaches to terrorism.
Your orders support book donation projects
Extremely pleased with the quality of the product, the ease of the ordering system and the speed at which the item was dispatched.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985