By: William S Johnson(Author), Dennis M Allen(Author), Marni Fylling(Illustrator)
452 pages, b/w line drawings
Zooplankton play a vital role in the ecology of estuaries and coastal waters. In this revised edition of Johnson and Allen's instant classic, we are offered a guided tour of zooplankton, including early developmental stages of familiar shrimps, crabs, and fishes.
Zooplankton of the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts details the behavior, morphology, and coloration of these tiny aquatic animals. Precise descriptions and labeled illustrations of hundreds of the most commonly encountered species provide readers with the best source available for identifying zooplankton.
Inside the second edition:
- an updated introduction that orients readers to the diversity, habitats, environmental responses, collection, history, and ecological roles of zooplankton
- descriptions of life cycles
- illustrations (including 88 new drawings) that identify 340+ taxa and life stages
- range, habits, and ecology for each entry located directly opposite the illustration
- appendixes with information on collection and observation techniques and suggested readings and citations for more than 1300 scientific articles and books
"An indispensable book for teachers, students, and professionals working in marine biology and oceanography."
– Northeastern Naturalist
"Teachers, students and professionals in marine biology at the college level will find this a key survey."
– Midwest Book Review
"This new edition of the zooplankton guide by William S. Johnson and Dennis M. Allen provides an excellent introduction to the diversity of planktonic life found off the eastern and southern coasts of the USA [...] This volume is excellent and it will serve its audience well – from the level of beginner through to seasoned marine researchers."
– Geoff Boxshall – Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society
There are currently no reviews for this product. Be the first to review this product!
William S. Johnson is the Lillian Welsh Professor of biological sciences at Goucher College in Baltimore. Dennis M. Allen is director of the Baruch Marine Laboratory and research professor at the University of South Carolina.
Your orders support book donation projects
We have always been very happy with NHBS service.
Search and browse over 110,000 wildlife and science products
Multi-currency. Secure worldwide shipping
Wildlife, science and conservation since 1985