The recent progress in medicinal plants, volume 33 is focused on the most comprehensive scientific material about fixed oils and fats of contemporary pharmaceutical importance. Fixed oils and fats are important not only from the nutritional viewpoint, but also in terms of their medicinal or pharmacological properties. This volume aims to describe those important fixed oils and fats in an organized approach. Its contributors are from 13 countries namely Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Iran, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
This volume is divided into 17 chapters. The first general chapter embraces all the major and minor constituents of fixed oils and fats, their isolation, refining, processing, physico-chemical, analytical, nutritional and medicinal properties; followed by comprehensive monographs of pharmaceutically important fixed oils and fats from nature. Then it states the use of fixed oils in injectables. The next chapters individually elaborate the medicinal and health beneficiary properties of important fixed oils. Three chapters deal with fixed oils and fats of specific properties and usage namely antimicrobial, nutraceutical and cosmetics. Role of fixed oils and fats in human physiology as well as in prevention of certain diseases are discussed in two chapters. The health effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids and the medicinal properties of fish oils are explicated in two chapters. A chapter details the adulteration and evaluation methods of medicinal fixed oils and fats. The facts and findings presented in this volume would serve as basic as well as applied scientific material for further studies in developing newer and effective drugs, nutraceuticals, cosmetics and pharmaceutical excipients from fixed oils and fats.
This special volume is designed for professionals of health sciences, food technology, nutrition, dietetics, pharmaceutical sciences, pharmacognosy, pharmacology, agriculture, botany, medicine, therapeutics, traditional medicine, complementary and alternative medicine, herbalism, medical and public health sciences, healthcare professionals of other various disciplines, policy-makers and marketing and economic strategists. It is addressed to undergraduates, post-graduates, teachers and researchers.
- About the Series
- Foreword to the Series
- Foreword to the Volume
- Pharmaceutically Important Fixed Oils and Fats from Nature
- Role of Fixed Oil and Fats in Human Physiology and Pathophysiology
- Use of Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre (Fabaceae) Seed Oil in Medicine and Agriculture
- Millettia pinnata (L.) Panigrahi: Overview and Biological Properties of Fixed Oil
- Neem Oil: Biological Activities and Usage
- Argan Oil: A Natural Richness
- Fixed Oils and Fats in Disease Prevention and Prophylaxis
- Fixed Oils and Fats in Cosmetics
- Fixed Oils and Antimicrobial Effects
- Virgin Olive Oil: Composition and Biological Properties
- Physiological and Medicinal Properties of Castor Oil
- Chemistry and Therapeutic Potential of Chaulmoogra Oil
- EPA-and DHA-derived Anti-inflammatory and Pro-resolving Lipid Mediators
- Understanding the Medicinal Properties of Fish and Fish Oils
- Health Benefits of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Fixed Oils and Fats
- Fixed Oils and Fats as Nutraceuticals
- Adulteration and Evaluation of Medicinal Fixed Oils and Fats
- Soybean Oil and Health Management
- Subject Index
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!