Cryopreservation and Freeze-Drying Protocols is a compilation of robust, reproducible techniques for the conservation of a wide range of biological materials. This widely expanded second edition includes novel approaches and protocols for biological materials that were not preservable when the first edition was published in 1995.
Cryopreservation and Freeze-Drying Protocols begins with a discussion of long term ex situ conservation of biological resources, the role of biological resource centers, and fundamental principles of freeze-drying and cryopreservation. Each chapter focuses on the preservation of specific biological materials, including proteins, mircroorganisms, cell lines, and multicellular structures. Detailed descriptions of materials required and stepwise protocols are presented for each preservation method, along with explanatory notes that highlight key technical issues. The troubleshooting and background notes provided for each protocol enhance this practical and reliable resource for the conservation and sustainable use of biological resources.
"As a source of data on current practice this book has no rival and will undoubtedly prove its worth [...] The editors [...] have succeeded [in] their aim [...] to assist those who are setting up biological storage systems and are seeking detailed descriptions of robust methods."
- Virus Cryopreservation and Storage
- Freeze-Drying and Cryopreservation of Bacteria
- Freeze-Drying Yeast
- Cryopreservation of Yeast Cultures
- Cryopreservation and Freeze-Drying of Fungi
- Cryopreservation of Pathogenic and Nonpathogenic Free-living Amoebae
- Long-Term Cryopreservation of Thylakoid Membranes
- Cryopreservation of Algae
- Cryopreservation of Plant Protoplasts
- A Two-Step or Equilibrium Freezing Procedure for the Cryopreservation of Plant Cell Suspensions
- Vitrification of Plant Cell Suspensions
- Cryopreservation of Shoot-Tips and Meristems
- Cryopreservation of Seeds
- Cryopreservation of the Sperm of the Pacific Oyster Crassostrea gigas
- Cryopreservation of Fish Spermatozoa
- Cryopreservation of Avian Spermatozoa
- Cryopreservation of Animal and Human Cell Lines
- Cryopreservation of Semen from Domestic Livestock
- Cryopreservation of Mammalian Embryos: Slow Cooling
- Cryopreservation of Mammalian Embryos: Vitrification
- Cryopreservation of Human Gametes
- Cryopreservation of Human Red Blood Cells
There are currently no reviews for this book. Be the first to review this book!