Discover 700 hidden adventures from this popular tourist region, from remote coves and wild mountains to desert landscapes and green meadows rich with wildflowers. Experience the best of Andalucia's rural food culture and accommodation, feasting on local tapas and barrelled Jerez wines, and find lesser-known ferias and Holy Week processions.
- Plunge into turquoise tidal pools below sand dunes and roman ruins at Playa de Bolonia.
- Admire thousands of migrating griffon vultures swooping low from the southernmost tip of mainland Europe.
- Wander up to the forgotten ruined castle of Otinar, overlooking one of Jaen's greatest canyons.
- Hideout in caves once the haunt of infamous bandits and marvel at ancient cave paintings in the hills north of Malaga.
- Explore the beautiful wild gorge carved by the Rio Verde with glimmering pools, waterfalls and petrified forest.
- Retreat to a cabin set among some of the most dramatic landscapes of Spain.
Edwina Pitcher is a travel writer and photographer specializing in the conservation, history and customs of Europe's wilder places. She is the author of Wild Guide - Portugal and has walked and swum across much of Spain and Portugal. She lives in Cádiz.